Sunday, December 11, 2016

Weekend getaway to Bangkok, Thailand

I knew that my aunt was going to Bangkok, Thailand for a work trip in June, and with so many bad happenings around April - May, I decided to tag along with her to pray in Thailand. You may judge me for being superstitious or whatever, but I need to ease my mind (: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1

We stayed in Sofitel Hotel, since my aunt's conference was held there. 

Sofitel Hotel 
189 Sukhumvit Road Soi 13-15, 
Klongtoey Nua Wattana, 
Bangkok 10110, 
Thailand
+66 2 126 9999




Didn't get to do much; went to some nearby supermarket and had dinner @ CentralWorld.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 2 

Aunt had her conference from the morning till evening, so I decided to tour around the city myself. It's not my first time here but..anyone who knows me well would know that I have a terrible sense of direction. However, I managed to use the GPS and arrived at Erawan Shrine (Four Faced Buddha Shrine)!!! Achievement Unlocked! So proud of myself (lol)


The famous Erawan Shrine has 4 sides:
You start from the 1st side (the one facing the entrance) and then proceed to pray the 2nd, 3rd and 4th side, in a clockwise manner.

1st side symbolises fame, career, academic achievements.
2nd side symbolises marriage, love, feelings & popularity.
3rd side symbolises fortune and wealth.
4th side symbolises peace, health, harmony and family.

Hired the cabaret as a votive for whatever I've wished for during my last visit.
Well, come to think of it now..I don't think my wish actually came true. but we will see, as I made a general and rather vague one :/

Maybe I should stop being so superstitious as well xD hahaha


Met up with P' T for lunch after that.. She was working and had to excuse herself to meet me. Much love for this girl 

Moomin Cafe @ Siam Center
240 Rama 1 Road, 
Khwaeng Pathum Wan, 
Khet Pathum Wan, 
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330,
Thailand
+66 85 563 9651










Had our dessert at Mango Tango:

Mango Tango
1 Pathum Wan Rama 1 Road
Siam Square Soi 3, 
Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330,
Thailand
+66 2 658 4660
Opens 11:30 am - 10:00 pm

140 baht (SGD $5.60)



For dinner, we went to Apinara Thai Cuisine and Bar:

G25, 2nd Floor, 4/1 - 4/4/4 Road,
Patumwan, 1 Ratchadamri Road, 
Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330, 
Thailand
+66 2 252 0063
Opens 11:00 am - 11:00 pm




L: Nam Ancha Juice - Butterfly pea flower juice (100 baht; SGD $4)
M: Ice Lime Juice (100 baht; SGD $4)
R: Grass Jelly Thai Tea (100 baht; SGD $4)


Larb Tord - Spicy fried Northeastern Pork balls (180 baht; SGD $7.20)

Kao Suay - Rice (40 baht; SGD $1.60)

Ka Nar Pla Kem - Stir fried kale with Thai anchovy (195 baht; SGD $7.80)

Tom Yum Kung - River prawns in spicy lemongrass & lime soup (?240 baht; ?SGD $9.60)

Crispy fried whole sea bass with garlic, peppercorn and herb (450 baht; SGD $17.90)


Nara's thai iced tea ice cream w/ assorted thai sweet condiments (180 baht; SGD $7.20)


Thai version of ABC peng..or Halo-Halo? xD

To be honest, I'm rather disappointed at this because when the ice tea ice cream was a bit too sweet for my liking. There's also too many condiments which do not compliment the flavour of the thai iced tea. Really wanted to order the coconut one but it was not available :(



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 3 


Shopped around Terminal 21 myself before meeting P' Tarn for lunch. She brought me to this authentic Southern Thai restaurant, where everything is written in Thai. No freaking clue what she ordered, but they're delicious! Southern Thai cuisine tends to be more flavourful and not as spicy. 

En route to Bangkok's first railway station~






Went to chinatown after that and finally had the coconut ice cream!! So refreshing, especially during a hot weather!

Met up P' A & P' M for dinner. AYPVC Brunei Reunion!! 

Greyhound Cafe EmQuartier 
The EmQuartier, Sukhumvit Road, 
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10110, Thailand
+66 2 003 6660
Opens 11 am - 10 pm

Thai tea granita (100 baht; SGD $4)

Calamari Fritti (150 baht; SGD $6)

Salmon Sashimi in spicy hot sauce (200 baht; SGD $8)

Spaghetti with thai anchovy (200 baht; SGD $8)

Spicy spaghetti Thai Style seafood (240 baht; SGD $9.60)

Seafood penne with spicy pesto sauce ( ?240 baht; ? SGD $9.60 - can't remember the price..)
spaghetti with crab meat in prawn cream sauce, sprinkled with shrimp roe (270 baht; SGD $10.80)






Greyhound cafe is a modern restaurant with a stylish design. They serve Italian-Thai fusion dishes but to be honest, for the price that I've paid, I expected more out of it. The pasta per plate is about $10, which is fairly expensive in Thai food context. 








After dinner, we decided to go for a drink. P' T suggested going to a rooftop bar and hence, we went to..

38/8 Soi Sukhumvit 11, 
Khlong Tan Nuea, Khet Vadhana,
Bangkok, Thailand
+66 83 542 1111
Opens 6 pm - 2 am


 PML mocktail = passionfruit, mango & lychee (220 baht; SGD $8.90)

Green cloud - Bacardi Lemon, Yoghurt, Japanese cucumber, fresh mint & lemon juice (310 baht; SGD $12.40)

Rohito - Grey goose, watermelon juice & passion fruit puree (360 baht; SGD $14.50)


Tortas Tres Leches - Vanilla sponge cake soaked in 3 different types of milk (230 baht; SGD $9.20)

 Creme Caramel (200 baht; SGD $8)









--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 4

Going back Bruland today! Had lunch at the airport and arrived back in Brunei in the evening.



Had this almost every day in Bangkok. Aunt is addicted to it :p She must have it even at the airport (where the price is triple of the usual mango sticky rice available in the city)

Looking back at these photos...I really gained ALOT of weight during winter in Ireland. After that I was at Tralee, Kerry for 5 weeks where I indulged myself in full blown Indian food (I blame the hospital for providing such nice free food every conference and journal club!!).. and before I headed back to Asia, I had to finish all the food in the fridge, and had 5 meals per day in the last week. 

Could totally see the weight difference!! and I continued eating so much back in Asia.. I mean, how can I not?! T_______T

No comments:

Post a Comment