Sunday, March 15, 2020

Summer in Greece

From Izmir Airport, Turkey, we travelled to Athens, Greece. The flight was approximately 1 hour long, and we used Olympus Air. 

As we reached fairly early, with 2 huge luggage (for 1 month's worth of clothes as we travelled from Germany after eastern europe tour), we used the cab to reach our Airbnb. The Airbnb was pretty decent and clean.

Master bedroom

Kitchen

Guest room

Living room


As we've reached, we took the Metro to Acropolis of Athens:








I have always been intrigued with Greek mythology as I used to read the books in secondary school - bits and pieces of it though, and I always am interested in mythological stuff (like ancient Chinese Gods and all). But I think my knowledge is really superficial because I feel like all the buildings look the same in Athens. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed by their architecture, buildings and designs, but I don't wanna lie saying I enjoy touring them xD

J decided to stay in Athens for 2 days 1 night only because he felt that Athens is not a very safe city. Pick pockets, etc. So we headed to Santorini the next day. 

Santorini, one of the most romantic cities in the world. We had high expectations for Santorini, but were quite disappointed overall. However, my cousin went with her husband and really enjoyed it. Perhaps we went during the wrong season - summer (super hot & crowded), and we were probably tired from touring after one whole month. In Santorini, we stayed in a place called Galini Oia. 

From IG & FB, there were amazing sceneries in Santorini and Oia, however, those hotels that they stayed in.. the price starts from €500 and above per night!!! It's insanely expansive for the view!


As long as there's a clean toilet, I'm happy (:







5 shades darker



The blue domes in Oia are apparently churches. In Oia, there's actually a lot of restrictions. A lot of places are private properties and houses so they do not allow visitors to cross. There's actually small gates as well so only certain alleys are available for picture taking. However, I do see ALOT of IG photos with people stepping near the blue dome.. like do they actually have permission or are they doing it illegally?! 


Red sand beach 


Black sand beach

Jet ski! Our first jet ski experience together. 


We also went catamaran sailing trip for sunset at Oia. 


Before i puked.. the sea was rough and i puked within 30 minutes of the boat ride. To be fair, there were another 3-4 passengers who puked as well. 

Swimming in Aegean sea after puking lol
Aegean sea is called 爱情海 in Chinese, which directly translates to "love sea". Such a romantic name!! It was quite terrifying as I'm not a good swimmer and it's the sea we're talking about, not a pool. Literally, the boat just stopped in the middle of the sea and people just jumped off for a quick swim. I was afraid there will be sharks or some unknown creatures that'll bite me and J didn't go down the sea with me :(

Lunch provided with the sailing trip

Romantic Sunset in Oia

From Oia, we then went to our last Greece destination -- Mykonos. We were supposed to be in Mykonos for 3 days but unfortunately, on the first day of arrival, J had severe gastroenteritis with diarrhoea and vomiting, to the point we had to go a hospital. I was worried sick because we were both alone in a foreign country. Thankfully, our airbnb lady was very helpful and ordered taxi for us. She couldn't speak English at all, so I had to type English and google translate it to Greek. The taxi driver speaks fluent English so he brought us to a public hospital. J eventually recovered after IV rehydration and oral rehydration salts. I think I bought him anti-emetics as well. 

Poor J receiving IV hydration

I was a little upset to be honest because I was looking forward to Mykonos, but J's health is priority. He didn't have any meals and I ordered takeaway to the airbnb for our last 2 days. Thankfully, he was fit enough to fly back to Ireland. 

Our Airbnb in Mykonos:




Food that we tried in Greece:
Gyros: meat (we had the pork) stuffed in a puta with tomatoes, onion, and tzatziki sauce with chips!

Gyros in Mykonos (possibly the cause of J's gastroenteritis) or perhaps the nearby cat's lick (J's speculation)


Greek salad: fresh veggies, onions, olives, and feta tossed with lemon & olive oil vinaigrette 


Moussakas: potato, fried eggs, minced pork and cheese layered along with béchamel sauce. It tastes like lagsane and it's actually one of my favourite Greek dishes!

Tomatokeftedes: Tomato fritters famous in Santorini; surprisingly delicious!!

Saganaki: deep fried cheese - another one of my favourite dish (but so sinful omg!!) and again, fried tomato fitters


Greek's fish and chips

Grilled meat.. not sure whether this is considered Souvlaki as it's not served in skewers

Baklava - some overlap with Turkey~

Greek frozen yogurt / froyo

Greek iced frappe

??? donut

I saw Dolmadakia (stuffed grape leaves) but didn't try as I'm afraid I wouldn't like it. Also, we mostly had snacks in Greece. We binged on packets of chips/crisps and drank water + had a lot of figs (particularly me). I've never tried dried figs until I'm in Santorini and I fell in love with it! I finished half a packet in one day, it's crazy! And after that, I felt super bloated and guilty due to the unhealthy snacking and binging T______T We only had a few proper meals in Greece, and the rest we just relied on snacks xD 

Overall, Greece uses Euros, and transportation wise requires taxi. We tried using the bus in Santorini to travel from Oia to other places. The timings aren't regular but it's affordable. Initially, J planned to hire an ATV / 4 wheeler to tour around Santorini (which was what my cousin did and she loved it), but due to safety precautions as J wasn't very comfortable with driving at a narrow cliff road, we opted the bus. 

Hopefully, in the future, I'll have the opportunity to travel to Greece again and explore the other islands! 

No comments:

Post a Comment